“Back to Basics“
“According to H.H. Mitchell, Journal of Biological Chemistry 158, the brain and heart are composed of 73% water, and the lungs are about 83% water. The skin contains 64% water, muscles and kidneys are 79%, and even the bones are watery: 31%.”* It goes without saying that water is an essential beverage to top up on daily.”
The colourless fluid has an abundance of health benefits, which gives us all the more reason to reach for it over fizzy drinks, juices and coffee. Here are just a few of those benefits:
- “It can help reduce sugar cravings and aid weight maintenance”* – It is advised to drink water first whenever you feel hungry, because the brain cannot tell the difference between hunger and thirst.
- “It delivers oxygen throughout the body”** – Blood is 90% water, and water is a source of oxygen.
- “The digestive system depends on it”** – Dehydration can cause digestive problems; water is a crucial element for the bowel to work well.
- “It boosts skin health and beauty”** – Dehydration is a key factor in skin issues.
- “It lubricates the joints”** – Cartilage contains approximately 80% water, and long-term dehydration could affect the joints’ ability to absorb shock, causing joint pain.
Drinking water every day is one of the most basic things you can do to look after your health. But never underestimate what this simple action could do for your body, much like prayer.
Every Tuesday, we hold meetings tailored to your health, giving you the opportunity to pray for your wellbeing and for your family members, if they are also dealing with a health issue. Join us for Health Day at your local UCKG HelpCentre.